The Bishop England athletic program takes pride in providing quality facilities for its athletes to practice and play. There are six different athletic facilities across the 40 acre campus.
Jack Cantey Stadium is home to the school’s football, soccer, and lacrosse teams. The stadium is named after Jack Cantey (’53), who served many roles at Bishop England over 40 years. Coach Cantey was the head football coach at Bishop England from 1964 – 1993. He lead the team to its first Lower State Championship in 1976. He was named Conference Coach of the Year seven times and was inducted into the South Carolina Hall of Fame in 1999. Along with coaching the football team, Jack also served as Athletic Director (1975 – 1999) and Assistant Principal (1979 – 1999).
Father Kelly Field is home to the school’s baseball team. The field is named after Reverend Msgr. Robert J. Kelly (1927-2004). Father Kelly was known for his skills on the baseball field, foregoing an opportunity to play professional baseball in order to join the priesthood. He first joined Bishop England as a faculty member in 1959. Fr. Kelly became the 4th Rector of Bishop England in 1964.
Father O’Brien Gym is home to the school’s volleyball, basketball, and wrestling teams. The gym is named after Right Reverend Msgr. Joseph “Doc” O’Brien (1884-1952). Father O’Brien founded Bishop England High School in 1915 and served as the school’s first Rector. He also coached the school’s early basketball teams in the 1920s.
The Carl Edward Poole Jr. Track is home to the school’s Track & Field team and also serves as a practice field for the school’s football and soccer teams. Carl Poole Jr. (1943-1993) was a member of the graduating class of 1961 at Bishop England. Carl’s excellent skills garnered him local and state championships throughout his years at Bishop England. He went on to Clemson where he ran track and set ACC records. He also ran for the US Army track team and participated at the US Olympic trials. Carl was known for his fierce competitiveness along with his sportsmanship for his fellow competitors.
The softball field is home to the school’s softball team. The field is located next to the baseball field and across from the football stadium.
Bishop England athletes use our weight rooms to build the strength, speed, and endurance needed to compete at a high level
The newest addition to campus is the Michael L. Runey III Tennis Center, home to the Monsignor John L. Manning tennis courts. For the first time in the school’s history, tennis teams are able to practice and play on their own courts. There are a total of 5 playing courts.